Tuesday 2 December 2008

A short blog to the corner and back

By T Lyne

Healthy trio blog going on 'round here.

Well,.... I have to confess, I once started a blog, some years back, and as soon as I posted it I deleted it and cancelled my account, the process didn't sit with me. Why would I want to spend time writing things? And here we are again, writing things. Hmmm. I am interested in what people are thinking, but I have always been reticent just throwing my thoughts out for general consumption.

Right then, lets take a turn.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the last year revitalising my relationship with music and quite particularly, the piano trio. When we did the commission for Gordon, way back when, it was the first time we, as a trio, had spent five days concentrating on writing and playing (this is a trio with fantastic ability to distract, displace and be very busy doing other things). The progress and development in that week was inspiring, and as I recall, the Friday night gig at An Tobar was a very special event. It left me feeling good; and certain that much more concentrated effort needed to happen, there was much to learn, and improve my musical relationship within myself. I had a number of years of being somewhat unconnected to my musical soul.

I began searching and listening to a lot of young, old, new and contemporary jazz musicians coming out of all different geographic locations. I craved hearing new things, invention and surprise; and I was not to be disappointed. There is such great music being made now and it sounds vital and relevant. Perhaps, until this happened, I had pursued my knowledge of jazz by following the prescribed consumption of established greats, of playing to standard convention (be it free, harmonic or other), and following the inventions of our heroes.

Well then, the new music worked. The establishment has been turned on it’s head (for me) by paying attention to modern players breaking down traditions and making great and exciting music. Playing well with clear intentions, creating great energy and sounds that push enthusiasm to the fore of the conversation.

Clearly, I am an older guy getting excited about music again. This has been an exciting course to follow.

The reason I’m going on about my personal re-awakening to new music is important because I too had not heard much from our sessions in Mull and had the presumptuous feeling wasn’t much to work with (the cynical old man syndrom). When the CD dropped through the door with the new mixes made by Dave and Gordon, out popped some great sounds and fantastic energy. Since I had done a lot of listening and enjoying of music, I could hear the depth and progress of the trio. There is clearly something special going on, and that is a ‘something’ external to what I get out of the trio as a player who resides within it.

So I did my bit, worked on the mastering and helped Dave edit the CD. I feel very good about the resulting disc. It’s very good. The trio sounds very good, and the music is an invitation to take part, play more, and keep going. I want to hear more of this band and I want to play more, and I want to write more.

In the end, the reluctant blogger has found a bit of voice. Perhaps I sound too earnest but I don’t care There is something fresh and energetic about the Shops CD, crunching credit and malignant banks aside, I feel sure the DMT has tapped into a new world of music and performance, Bring It On!!!.

No comments: